DEP Issues $600,000 Penalty to Advanced Disposal Services Greentree Landfill, LLC for Waste Slope Failure and Other Violations
Meadville, PA (12/1/2017) – The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announced that Advanced Disposal Services Greentree Landfill, LLC (Advanced Disposal) has agreed to a $600,000 civil penalty in a Consent Order and Agreement addressing a waste slope failure that resulted in the death of its employee at the Greentree Landfill in Kersey, Elk County.
On February 8, 2017, a slope failure occurred at the Greentree Landfill causing an estimated 15.5 acres of solid waste to shift and an estimated five acres of solid waste to slide off the lined disposal area. A landfill employee was trapped in the slide and died.
In addition to paying $600,000 for violations of the Solid Waste Management Act occurring before and after the slide, Advanced Disposal is required to submit a written “Root Cause” Report to the DEP on or before December 31, 2017, detailing Advanced Disposal’s investigation and conclusion regarding the cause of the slope failure. Advanced Disposal has also agreed to operational changes that will improve safety, including:
• Limit municipal sewage sludge and approved non-hazardous waste with flowable characteristics to 10% of the monthly scaled tonnage with a maximum of 15% of the total scaled tonnage on any one day until the slide has been remediated
• Limit municipal sewage sludge and approved non-hazardous waste with flowable characteristics to 15% of the monthly scaled tonnage with a maximum of 20% of the total scaled tonnage on any one day for three years after the slide has been remediated
• Remove and dispose of all the waste outside the lined area of the landfill by March 31, 2018, according to a plan approved by the Department
• Improve its Odor Control Plan
• Employ an individual or individuals to serve as the primary engineering and environmental compliance contact for the landfill
The Agreement provides additional stipulated penalties if Advanced Disposal fails to comply with its obligations in a timely manner.
CONTACT: Melanie Williams, DEP 814-332-6615