|At ADEQ our vision is to be the number one state in the nation in balanced, leading-edge environmental protection; through technical and operational excellence; and radical simplicity for customers and staff. We are currently looking for employees who are committed to our Agency, passionate to excel in their career and engaged in our mission. Only this caliber of employee will be successful in driving our Agency towards accomplishing our vision.
Clean air can mean many things to many people, but the one common thread is that all people want and deserve safe air to breathe. In the Air Quality Division, we are focused on solving the most difficult and impactful problems facing air quality to help our community breathe a little easier. We strive to achieve our mission by leveraging scientific and legal excellence through team-based, structured problem-solving to find better, faster, and cost-effective ways to protect our environment.
To help us on our vast and important mission, the Air Quality Division has an incredible opportunity for an experienced, results-orientated leader to help build the next generation of air quality strategies, programs, and professionals. The Deputy Director is an integral part of our diverse, talented, and innovative team and directly contributes to our agency’s mission by driving operational performance in five key areas: Air Quality Programs, Systems and Process Management, Stakeholder Relationships, Budget, and People Systems (Attract, Recruit, Onboard, Train, and Retain).
The Air Quality Division consists of five programs that assess, plan, and implement all delegated aspects of the Clean Air Act and implementing regulations, along with state air quality and federal regulations.
The Deputy Assistant Director is responsible for overseeing the divisions operations and serves in a senior leadership role to support the Division Director through long-range strategic planning, displaying sound program and operational judgment. The position is also responsible for driving employee performance, staff development, employee motivation, strategic program planning, budget management, and developing and maintaining a culture of Lean Continuous Improvement.
Do you think you have the combination of commitment, passion, and talent to help drive this Agency to realizing our vision? If so, apply today. To learn more about us, our organizational habits known as the ADEQ Way, our culture, and other positions we have open, visit us at DEQ/careers
|Ideal candidate will possess:
· Bachelor’s degree in the field of environmental science/policy, environmental/chemical engineering, environmental law, meteorology, or a closely related degree from an accredited university. Master’s preferred.
· Eight years of environmental management experience.
· A minimum of five years of program management or strategic management experience.
· Extensive knowledge of Federal & State air pollution control regulations; knowledge of the air quality science or engineering principles, air quality modeling, pollution control strategies or devices, and industrial processes; Functional knowledge of toxicology, meteorology, general and organic chemistry, and advanced mathematics; extensive knowledge of strategic program planning, atmospheric or emissions data collection, interpretation & presentation, technical report writing and editing.
· Knowledge of senior management and business management principles, including capital budgets (expenditure and revenue generations), task delegation, employee motivation, team-based problem solving techniques (5 Why Analysis/Root Cause, Lean Management, and Continuous Process Improvement), and principles of performance and visual management.
· Must be a skilled leader of a diverse environmental workforce (technical and legal); skilled manager of project managers to ensure deliverables are consistent, reliable, accurate, and timely; effective communicator, both verbal and written, and being conformable presenting to small and large groups.
|Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities