Website Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
Salary: See below
As an Environmental Science Specialist, we will rely on you to review permit applications and develop permits for the Arizona Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems (AZPDES) permit program. As an AZPDES permit writer, you will conduct research and draft pollutant limits for the purpose of identifying, abating, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards that affect human health and the environment. Using knowledge of various scientific disciplines, you may collect, synthesize, study, report, and recommend action based on the reviews of permit applications or facility details.
Environmental Science Specialist Salary Ranges:
Level 1: $40,000-$45,000
Level 2: $45,000-$55,000
Level 3: $55,000-$65,000
• Knowledge of the Clean Water Act, Arizona Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (AZPDES) regulations – referred as the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) regulations on a national level.
• Knowledge of wastewater treatment plant operation, mining operations, industrial operations, environmental engineering, compliance and enforcement strategies, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis, Agency policies and processes.
• Ability to understand and apply environmental rules and statues; to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and other technical instructions in performance of tasks; to prepare clear, concise and accurate permits and reports; and to summarize completed tasks and/or monitoring data orally and in written communication.
Ideal candidate will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental/chemical engineering, hydrogeology, hydrology, geology, biology, earth science or law.
• Experience: Level 1: no experience required; Level 2: Two years’ experience required or Master’s degree can substitute; Level 3: Five years’ experience required. Master’s degree can substitute for 2 years of experience, Doctorate can substitute for four years of experience.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Retirement Plan
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
For more information, please visit https://www.azstatejobs.gov/jobs/environmental-science-specialist-permit-writer-phoenix-arizona-united-states-tucson →