Website Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
UNIT MANAGER – HAZARDOUS WASTE
DEPT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
We are looking for results-oriented, driven individuals with a thirst for problem solving.
At Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) our vision is to be the number one state in the nation in balanced, leading-edge environmental protection; through technical and operational excellence; and radical simplicity for customers and staff. We are currently looking for employees who are committed to our Agency, passionate to excel in their career and engaged in our mission. Only this caliber of employee will be successful in driving our Agency towards accomplishing our vision.
UNIT MANAGER – HAZARDOUS WASTE PERMITS/SUPPORT UNIT
DEPT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
Our Unit Manager for the Hazardous Waste Permits and Support Unit is responsible for managing the operating functions of the unit. This position is responsible for supervising staff including assigning work, setting priorities, monitoring and evaluating performance, developing and providing training to staff. The position is also responsible for ensuring that all unit work products are technically sound, accurate and meet program goals, State and Federal statutes, rules, regulations and professional ethics. You will review and evaluate technical reports, community involvement relations and outputs, and legal documents such as consent decrees, orders, and access agreements. You will attend meetings with other supervisory/managerial staff to give and receive information and to participate in discussion, problem resolution and decision-making.
All ADEQ management positions champion continuous improvement projects within the unit and recommends and implements program or operational improvements; assists in the development of goals and strategies; develops policies and procedures related to environmental inspections, enforcement, compliance and/or scientific studies; ensures the unit operations meet established time lines and objectives; provides guidance and interpretation of federal and state laws/regulations related to complex regulatory situations or inspections; and manages the most complex or high profile projects or assignments.
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn department policies and procedures, state and federal environmental compliance and enforcement protocols and their interpretations, including regulations regarding the development of State implementation plans and required components of the plan; functions of the various department environmental programs
• Experience leading continuous improvement exercises including LEAN, Six Sigma, or others
Ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, environmental management, environmental or chemical engineering, biology, hydrology, or other environmental discipline
• 3-5 years of environmental experience in a regulatory agency, consulting, or private industry
• 2 years of supervisory experience
• 40 hour OSHA certification is preferred
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
· 10 paid holidays per year
· Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
· A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
· A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
· An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
· We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
· We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
ASRS Retirement System
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting HPO@azdeq.gov.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
For more information, please contact email@example.com